Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Eliot Spitzer: Bully or bullied

I didn't know who Eliot Spitzer from anything worth comparing except my cousin trying to bait me into a Mel Gibson rage. Now that his sex scandal odyssey is going to full bloom, I'm starting to read about him. The more I read, the more I like his work as a politician. Granted, I only read the Internet articles about him. My connection is from this Janus savings fund that I have. I want to give him another look. He could be a bully amongst bullies in a war for power. Yet, I feel that he is being railroaded because he stepped on some toes a little too hard and this scandal is a way to get back at him.

A few years ago, a big scandal occurred between stocks and saving bonds industry. All I know, my Janus went downhill fast from the 13 or 14 grand that I put into and went to 5 grand and lower. My father told me to take it out but I decided to ride it out (really, I was just too lazy to go over the phone and call). Also, a co-worker gave this observation about good stock companies overcoming scandals, bad management, and incompetent workers if they have the core that made it good in the first place. Finally, he told me one important advice: when the stock is going good, sell it for 50 percent more the original price you bought the stock. I thought he said take that money for your purpose or buy more affordable stocks. Not sure?

Back to the man. As Attorney General of New York, he pushed against corporations who abused their power and money privileges amongst CEO's. Corporations like Enron were falling from existence due to their exposure of this abuse. The man had balls. He went after the Gambino mafia family, stock institutions of Merrill Lynch as well as others, and some guy who who ran the NYSE (New York Stock Exchange). Some he won and some he lost. I heard he was a smart, brilliant guy who married a Southern Belle from the Carolinas with brains. I like how he uncovered record companies who withheld money to musicians for a whopping 50 million.

Around 1998 and working at PBS TV affiliate in Charlotte. Carolina Business Review with Chris William was a program produced there. He didn't introduced the idea but he was the one who put a whole show about corporate welfare and white collar crimes. Until that time, you only heard about corporate welfare from those books collecting dusts or reference sections at colleges or maybe local libraries where a catalog mentioned it. That was around 1997, it was certainly an eye opener for me because until that time, my thought was that welfare was only abused by the poor and needy instead of the rich and needy.

Back to the scandal. He did not use state money to fund his prostitution ring like some mayors of the past (I'm from Atlanta). Shoot, it was only one woman and she was over 20. News reports aren't very clear of what the issue is. I don't care about problems that causes his state to be in debt when he promised a debt free state. Those can't be blamed on one single person and he was just elected governor two years back. You have media guys like "Bueller" who make non-sense stuff about his morals(go see the troops). Now, that Mr. Spitzer resigned from the Governor's position, I'm trying to find out why.

You remember, the movie, Goodfellas, and the Ray Liotta character of Henry Hill. He kept reiterating to that he couldn't lead the mafia because he had Irish ancestry even though he was a brilliant mobster. I kind of get that vibe from Mr. Spitzer. I don't why. Yet, I don't get that shuffle feel of going inside/out of the family. He is part of a larger community instead of a dependent Mafioso to corporate society. To me, that is a leader who is making and doing things right. He is not afraid of outsiders nor insiders involving his leadership. I think the media who are for and against his scandal really don't talk about his work which tells me in a backhand way, he is a threat to their corporate dependency.

My dilemma is trying to decide if he is a bully being bullied or a leader being bullied? Where are his so-called peers? I certainly don't want to make out to be Jesus Christ because jury is still out about whether he is a leader or another bully amongst bullies. His fast resignation may indicates that he is a leader being rail-roaded out of town or a cover-up for more scandals. Usually in a compromising situation, you see family or fraternity members step-in but none have except his wife. I just think he needs another look.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

He is the brahmin among brahmins that earned his privledge and his own social group are quite jealous of it.