Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Revenge of the Nerds?

Heard a discussion concerning that movie and the Robert Carradine character who has sex with a passed out cheerleader. A lady considered it rape because the nerd wore a mask and mislead the girl thinking it was her jock boyfriend. She used a term of "defacto something "rape or it was something else. Then, I chimed in saying the point of the movie was to show that all fraternities are the same but that brain status wins over brawn status when it comes to rape and getting the girl.

I remember a scene with Jodie Foster in Accused at the bar when she got raped by these burly, blue-collar guys. Yet, she lead them on with her dress and her attitude of wanting them initially but she then said no. On the witness stand, she seemed very strong with conviction. She won because of the underdog manner of how she came across. The point is: no is no.

Now, switch the scene to an office or a library. Jodie probably is wearing a sweater, maybe some slacks, jeans, a skirt, or clothes in professional manner. Maybe, she has some sass to her step and an attitude. She maybe teasing them or leading them on with a smile. John Hinckley? no. He is a lone wolf. But how about a nerd who hangs around with his own nerd circle of friends. Big Bang Theory? Who do you feel sorry for, the nerds or the girl? Think about that.

That is why you have a fraternity. I remember when I resisted in taking Honors in subjects or go to advanced class in high school and college. The counselor or teacher would say you are no different than anybody else. I know why, now. A few years back, I came across this buxom blond and started talking. She talked about how smart Indians are and about me marrying one. Angrily, I asked her why don't you marry one? She said something about them being awkward, wouldn't recognize who is one, or where to find one. I told her go to Georgia Tech and ask one. She kept saying, yeah, but and all. "Ding, ding, ding" went in my head and the scene from "Accused" went came up except it was nerdy, Indian guys and that girl laying on the table at a computer lab. I don't know if that happened but I knew that's what she thought of their potential.

Now, she thought of me as the sweet lone wolf but nonetheless a wolf to be wary. However, nerdy Indians in a group scared her more because she would get the blame because they appear smaller and harmless. Likewise, they got the well-earned 3degrees (nothing is given makes it more appealing). I have talked to strippers and therapists. They all say, they are nice individually but in a group, look out below.

Yet, who blames Soon Yi? I don't like writing these kind of things but for my Indian sisters, related or not. Its damn important for me. Go to Chennai, India or Tamilnadu countryside, women walk in pairs with arms in a sling at street corners whether its light or dark. Regardless of the danger factor. But in "Westernized facilities", they are by themselves like clubs, hotels, colleges, shops, and places that require English. A false sense of security prevails because they are supposedly "civilized." Some have no choice to be alone but those who do......

No comments: